Held simultaneously with the Cultural Foundation's Bookfest, another great recycling event, the Clothes Swap includes women’s, men’s and children’s clothing, shoes and accessories.
If you bring along some clothes, shoes or accessories to participate, then it's free to swap, or otherwise, only a gold coin donation to buy.
Upcycled bags will be available to purchase, and there'll be displays and demonstrations of some great upcycled textile ideas.
Clothes Swaps promote the perks of reuse and recycling and are great for the environment, but they’re also a fun and interactive way to refresh your wardrobes and cleanse your collections for free, making it a budget-friendly alternative to buying new.
Swapping just one suitcase (20kg) of clothes saves enough energy to run a TV non-stop for 1.7 years.
We invite people to participate and bring along a few items to swap, or just come and talk to us and learn more about the broader theme of minimising waste.
As well as the focus on clothes, it's a great opportunity to bring along things which BOSS collects for recycling initiatives, which include
- mobile phones and accessories for the mobile muster
- corks and household batteries for recycling
- old plastic store cards to be upcycled into guitar picks
- old running shoes for the nike re-use-a-shoe campaign, and
- bras and swimmers for project uplift
- household batteries
- fabric for bags and other crafts, including tablecloths, curtains and sheets,
We’ll also have information there on recent innovations in recycling, including toothbrushes and toothpaste tubes, and other cleaning and beauty product packaging, soft plastics and ewaste.