Wednesday, June 7, 2023

MOVING MOUNTAINS innes larkin's story

Spokesperson for Keep the Scenic Rim Scenic

Moving to the Scenic Rim and living at Mt Barney Lodge changed me and my awareness of our natural world. I became more aware that nature was not just 'out there' but that we were an integral part of it and, if we poisoned the water, or the soil, we were poisoning ourselves. So, the concept of mining and its enormous environmental impacts next to Mt Barney represented a clear threat to me, my environment and required action.

I vividly remember sitting talking to the original journalist who broke the story in the Beaudesert Times – Gary Corbett. He said:

I cannot tell you what to do, that is not my role, but what I can say is that communities that do nothing end up with coal mines in their backyard, and communities that fight, don’t … What you do is up to you!

My unique role in stopping coal and gas extraction in the Scenic Rim was believing that we could do it and having the energy and passion to follow through. Many farmers, landowners and residents would ask me: “Why are you doing this? What is in it for you?” and the honest answer is because it had to be done, and I had the skills and energy to do it.

As a teacher, I do not find talking in front of groups daunting and I can collate large amounts of data/research into concepts which are easily presented in a large group setting. This allowed me to be the spokesperson for Keep the Scenic Rim Scenic (KTSRS) and present the amazing information that was being researched and collated by others, and speak passionately about why it was important to ‘Lock the Gate’.

A local tourism icon, the late Sue Overell, who was in conversation with me one day, spoke around her amazement at my energy and passion and the words that came out next have stayed with me.

She said: “Innes, you are hyperactivity, well directed….”

That direction has come primarily through a shared vision with my wife, Tracey, and then all the spectacular people like Heidi Ross, who also helped rally the community together and did the research, ran communication, helped with market stalls and community cabinets, stuffed mailouts into letters and the million other really significant jobs that needed to be done.

I am forever grateful for all the people who involved themselves to create a coal and gas-free Scenic Rim. It is a legacy that cannot be taken away and we should all be proud.

At each step in the campaign, the stakes got more and more real. Firstly there was the threat of coal and gas, then there were the protests to try to stop it, and then there was the drill rig testing the amount of gas under the earth, threatening our land and water. When Tracey and I were arrested on the first day of the Kerry Blockade, I remember feeling devastated that our voices were not being listened to. I remember feeling powerless to protect our region. I naively believed that when you have good and right behind you that you will prevail.

I now realise that democracy only works well when you are actively engaged and so after the Kerry Blockade I take every opportunity to engage in the protest to save our planet, from traveling to protests in Maules Creek, Bentley and the Pilliga, to flying to Canberra to lobby for Lock the Gate, to being on the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage advisory committee, to being on the board of Ecotourism Australia and Lock the Gate, to working with the Climate Council in publications concerning climate change and its impacts, to running as an Independent in the 2019 federal election.

I am in the process of documenting the historic success of KTSRS’s campaign with the goal of inspiring other communities to follow our successful pathway. The book will be titled Don’t Play Their Game.

I am still very connected to the natural world and love protecting country, as well as inspiring others to do the same.

When I am not working, you will find me surfing or walking in a natural area.



No comments:

Post a Comment