Wednesday, June 7, 2023

MOVING MOUNTAINS paul coyne's story

I’m a great believer in Sun Tzu’s strategy of “Win first, then go to war”. My goal was to find a fatal flaw in the ambition of Allegiance Coal.

In 2002, my role as an IT Consultant allowed me to work remotely, leading me to purchase a 49 hectare property at Croftby. By 2005 I had established a home there, taking advantage of the stunning views across to Mt Moon and the Great Dividing Range.

I had long held concerns about the impacts of mining on the unique and ancient landscapes of this amazing country, and I was fortunate enough to travel widely where I was able to see these impacts first hand. Along the way I visited the Argyle Diamond Mine and the Mount Whaleback iron ore mine in Western Australia, and the massive Leigh Creek Coal Mine in South Australia.

Arriving home from travels in late August 2011, I saw an article in the Fassifern Guardian about the ambitions of Allegiance Coal to progress a Mineral Development Licence over an area of 244 hectares at Croftby to a Mining Lease. A five-million tonne open-cut coal mine with a life of 15 years was planned.

This led to me working with neighbours to establish the Croftby Community Group - another BOSS subcommittee - where I was able to help coordinate and communicate community objections to the proposed mine. Croftby was also being targeted for CSG, so in early September the group aligned its efforts with KTSRS. Over time, the Croftby Community Group evolved to become a collective of some 120 people who were desperate to ensure the unique values of the Scenic Rim were protected.

It was a challenging time and required significant effort from a lot of people but, in the end, Allegiance Coal surrendered its Mineral Development Licence on 27 November 2014.

After retiring, using what I had learnt living at Croftby, I transitioned to part-time work providing environment consultancy services. In 2019, I moved to the Redlands to be closer to my children and grandchildren, and remain involved in environmental projects.



Paul prepared a detailed report - a personal perspective on the community fight against the proposed Mintovale open-cut coal mine at Croftby and Arrow Energy’s Coal Seam Gas ambitions across the Scenic Rim. 


No comments:

Post a Comment